Skip to main content

Critical Reflection

Module learning: 
After 14 weeks of EFFCOM lessons, the module has come to an end. Looking back at the goals I’ve set out at the start of the module, I was able to improve my writing skills through our assignments, especially the technical report team assignment which allowed me to learn from my teammates as well. The module also covers effective communication and presentation skills through the project and assignments which are crucial skills in a workplace. I’ve also improved on my communication skills as well as broaden my horizons on current engineering issues.  In a way, taking this module has reminded me that there is always something new you can learn. It has contributed to my learning by equipping me with critical communication skills to be on a competitive level in the industry. I definitely became a better communicator which can be seen during my presentation. Despite not presenting in front of a crowd for months, I was not as nervous as I expected to be. I hope to be able to bring the skills I’ve picked up in this module as well as the mindset to my future work as well: the mindset to always improve oneself.

Project learning: 

My project decided to focus on an issue revolving around air-conditioning in buildings. We noticed that air-conditioning not only consume a high percentage of energy in a building, but up-to-date air-conditioning systems does not have features that focus on saving energy. Hence, my group has decided to come up with a solution in regards to that.
At the start of the project, my teammates and I were usually too busy to meet up. However, we made effort to meet up to work on the project, even during the weekends. Throughout this project, we became closer as not only groupmates but as friends.  My groupmates were also really opened-minded and respectful, so voicing out my opinions to them felt less stressful than I expected.  Even though we rushed out our presentation, we did a good job and I am really proud of my team.


All in all, I enjoyed the module and it would not have been possible without my wonderful classmates and Prof Brad, who has always been very opened and encouraging of class participation. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for the effort with this detailed reflection, Jorine. I appreciate the clarity of your description and the appreciation you show for having accomplished so much in 14 weeks. You've done good work throughout all the various activities and your positive attitude toward the module in general has made working with you very pleaseant.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey at SIT and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jorine, it's nice to see that you have a strong mindset to always improve yourself. Also, I'm grateful to have worked with you for our project assignment. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter

Dear Prof, My name is Jorine Ng, and the purpose of this letter is to introduce myself. I am a Year 1 student attending your effective communication module. I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in facility management, along with a certificate in psychology. For the longest time, I wanted to work in the built environment industry.  I believed that saving energy was not always about peoples' efforts, but how the building is built as well.  I eventually decided to further my studies in the Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (building services) program in SIT.  Aside from academic interests, I am interested in learning languages. I feel language is not only a way to communicate, but also a unique form of art. I have studied Japanese, and I am currently studying Korean. I also plan to pick up American Sign Language one day. With regards to my communication skills, I would say that I am confident in my ability to speak to people. I have no qualms starting a conve

Presentation Showcase Reflection

The module has come to an end with the presentation showcase. Despite my team not presenting at the showcase, it has been a wonderful day watching other groups present their ideas. Watching the other teams helped me to broaden my perspective on current issues in the industry as well as how effective non-verbal actions such as simple hand gestures can be when delivering a presentation. In regards to the presenting teams’ uses of audio-visuals, I had noticed that all presenting groups use slides that are simple yet informative slides to deliver their message to the audience. In my personal opinion, Team PES Green from my class has done a good job in delivering their message in their presentation. Even though I had seen them present before, they had done a lot of improvements in their presentation today. The team had neat yet informative slides that they used to be able to explain their points effectively. The members spoke with confidence and were informative about their own solution. T