Skip to main content

A New Chapter

Dear Prof,

My name is Jorine Ng, and the purpose of this letter is to introduce myself. I am a Year 1 student attending your effective communication module. I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in facility management, along with a certificate in psychology. For the longest time, I wanted to work in the built environment industry. 
I believed that saving energy was not always about peoples' efforts, but how the building is built as well. I eventually decided to further my studies in the Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (building services) program in SIT. 

Aside from academic interests, I am interested in learning languages. I feel language is not only a way to communicate, but also a unique form of art. I have studied Japanese, and I am currently studying Korean. I also plan to pick up American Sign Language one day.

With regards to my communication skills, I would say that I am confident in my ability to speak to people. I have no qualms starting a conversation with a complete stranger. Working part-time for the past few years has helped me overcome this huge wall. I also worked at Changi Airport, where I conversed with international passengers on a daily basis. I enjoyed conversing with foreigners through their native language as I am able to practice what I have studied.
 
However, I would admit that I have troubles expressing myself in writing, especially in formal settings like academic writing. Growing up in a household where I use more Singlish than English, I am still not confident in my grammar and vocabulary. On top of that, I usually have difficulties organizing the information that I write.

My goals for this module is to develop my language skills, and to also refine my writing and public speaking skills. I hope to be able to learn more about effective communication from you, and to improve more on my English.

Best regards,
Jorine Ng
SIE2016 Group 6

Revised: 26th Sept 2018


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jorine,

    It is interesting to know that you had certificate in psychology and could speak different languages. Your letter is well written and detailed. You organized the paragraphs and there is a flow to it. Here are some of my thoughts for improvement.

    1. Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Building Services) program in SIT. (do not need to capitalize)
    2. I believed that saving energy was not always about peoples' efforts, but how the building is made as well. (how the building is build)

    Let's work together to achieve our goals for this module!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jorine

    I like the flow of your sentences from one paragraph to the next. All the points were also covered and written in detail with good explanation of your interests, strengths and weaknesses. I gave you a score of 8/10 for content.

    In terms of organisation, your email is well-organised with different paragraphs and your sentences are well-structured. I gave you a score of 8/10 for organisation.

    Lastly for the language used, the use of simple English has made reading easier and your sentences easily understood. I gave you a score of 8/10 for language used.

    Overall, I gave you a score of 24/30. :)

    Regards
    Hafizah

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jorine,

    I have read your letter and it was nice to know your background, interest and goal. I would like to provide so suggestion and hope you would find it helpful.

    Content-8/10.
    Is sufficient and are detailed.
    Organisation-8/10.
    Good flow. Look out for punctuation and the continuous tenses.
    Language-7/10.
    Is easy to understand. I would suggestion to replace vocabulary words that are repeated on the same sentence or paragraph. Some grammatical errors.

    Overall - 23/30. I hope you would read my letter and give me some feedback as well so we could help each other to improve in our writing. Thank you.

    Yours sincerely,
    Ethen Siew

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jorine,
    By reading your letter, I got to know you better and here are a few of my thoughts which I hope you'd find useful.

    Content: well elaborated and all points are covered.
    Organisation: well paragraphed and good flow.
    Language used: minor grammar errors here and there but good use of vocabulary.

    All in all, it is a nice piece of writing.

    Best regards,
    Randi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jorine,

    Thank you for this well crafted reflection letter. I appreciate not just the wealth of information provided but also your people-centric interests and talents (languages, interpersonal communication). I'm interested to know more about your work at Changi.

    This is also a very fluent letter. Only the way that you have 'synthesized' my first name and last, and the issue below, detract:

    1. Bradstone?
    2. verb issues
    -- I enjoyed conversing with foreigners through their native language as I was also able to practice what I have studied. >>> (use of present perfect) ?

    I'm happy to be working with you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection

Module learning:  After 14 weeks of EFFCOM lessons, the module has come to an end. Looking back at the goals I’ve set out at the start of the module, I was able to improve my writing skills through our assignments, especially the technical report team assignment which allowed me to learn from my teammates as well. The module also covers effective communication and presentation skills through the project and assignments which are crucial skills in a workplace. I’ve also improved on my communication skills as well as broaden my horizons on current engineering issues.  In a way, taking this module has reminded me that there is always something new you can learn. It has contributed to my learning by equipping me with critical communication skills to be on a competitive level in the industry. I definitely became a better communicator which can be seen during my presentation. Despite not presenting in front of a crowd for months, I was not as nervous as I expected to be. I hope to be able to

Technical Report Draft 1

Background Information In recent advances, HVAC systems have been focused on exploring better refrigerants, introducing energy saving variable components, deploying advanced control algorithms and improving local fault diagnostics capabilities. The cloud computing system that we plan to introduce carries benefits such as its supremacy and continuous diagnostic capabilities. In this modern era, it is not a surprise where there are so many smart building capabilities implemented right at our convenience. And in the direction we are heading towards, we are going to bring efficient use of HVAC systems with big data, which is cloud-based computing system, to detect condensation issues in buildings. Problem Statement An ideal air conditioning system would be a system where users receive prompt notifications about faults on condensation, allowing early diagnosis before it becomes a major issue. However, we believe such an approach in the new SIT @ Punggol campus is not planned yet. Should